Saturday, September 17, 2011

Safely in Peru

I just wanted to let you all know that I have safely arrived in Peru!

Prior to arriving to Peru we had one day of staging in DC. In my head I imagined staging as all of the volunteers standing in a long line, getting their passports, 100 vaccines and then being shipped off on a plane. In reality it was more of a meet and greet and informational session. Far less interesting if you ask me.

The travel was nothing noteworthy besides the plane turning into a sauna before take off to thaw out the air conditioners. There was a point where I was seriously considering breaking the window because it was a struggle to breathe. But then the problem was resolved so far the other direction that I was wrapped in a wool sweater and blanket. But enough about planes.

Today we were in a retreat center in a valley with palm trees and parakeets surrounded by mountains that I can only describe as large piles of dirt. It legitimately looks like someone took a massive bulldozer and just dumped enough dirt to create a mountain. The retreat is placed just off the highway where the traffic is psychotic. Lots of honking and minimal street lights. I decided it was unwise to go on a casual stroll next to such traffic.

The beginning to Pre-Service Training has unexpectedly been filled with a lot of dancing, not arguing with that one. After training we played pick up volleyball and naturally I have already bruised my wrist, finger and ripped my pants. Standard.

Well thats all for now.

Buenos Noche!

KCM

No comments:

Post a Comment